Thursday, December 6, 2012

Oven Cleaning Attempt 1: The Results

So shockingly enough my quick, easy, no scrub oven cleaning attempt went VERY well.  To recap the oven and its racks had not been cleaned in a year (gasp).  While I forgot to take a before picture, I do not think it is hard for you to imagine your worse, unclean, gross, embarrassing dirty oven you can imagine, and that is what my oven started off looking like.

For the Oven:

I sprinkled some baking soda in the bottom.  Then filled a squirt bottle with vinegar and squirted the whole oven down.  Then I let it sit for about two hours. After that I took an SOS pad and wiped (not scrubbed) it down and was shocked.  Take a look!

   
Shocking... right!  The black spot in the back is actually olive oil that has been baked on over and over again. It used to take over a good half of the oven, but now! The foul smelling, chemically laden, store bought oven cleaner could not even get it this clean.  So since it was so easy, I decided to try again. So sprinked the baking soda, squirted the vinegar and left it to sit for two hours. Then I cam back wiped it down and looked at a pretty clean oven.

For the Racks

The overly blackened racks were placed in the the bathtub, covered with super hot water. I then added about 8 dryer sheets, 1/2 cup of blue dawn, and sprinkled a little borax and oxiclean. After a few hours I checked on it and this is what I found....

  
EEEEWWWWW. Gross right? After seeing all the grossness, I decided that they were probably pretty clean.  So I drained the tub and wiped them down with another SOS pad.  These I did scrub a tiny bit (only because I was so thrilled at how clean they were becoming.

The Grand Finale


Tale a look!!!!!


Not perfect but definitely close enough in my book.  I would probably try again (because its so easy), but this biggo pregnant lady is tired of bending over in the oven. I deem it clean enough!

So what do you think? Easy right?



2 comments:

  1. yay! You are blogging again! looking forward to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, this will come in very handy when we move agian in a few months :)

    ReplyDelete